MCB RECOMMENDS: QUINTETO BRASUKA
Photo: Karen Montija
In 2021, BrassUka celebrates 10 years on the “road” with a vast history of successful presentations and projects. Formed by five musicians, longtime friends, the group has been showing the versatility of the union of its metals – horn, tuba, trumpets and trombone – with an extensive repertoire and works that cover all periods of Western music, from the most traditional songs to contemporary composers.
And to celebrate the quintet’s first decade of career, the project #MúsicaNoMCB separated two important works by the band that you need to know.
THE METAL WORLD
The concert “O Mundo Metal” presents the public with a vast, fascinating and exciting repertoire created for metal instruments with world-famous classical and popular works dating back to the 16th century. In order to spread classical and instrumental music, in a lighter and funnier way, leaving the seriousness of classical music aside, using games and the participation of the audience directly in the shows.
Listen to the homonymous album and check out an excerpt from the realization:
· Just A Closer Walk – (Traditional / Arr.: Don Gillis)
· Aquarela do Brasil – (Ary Barroso / Arr.: Maestro Duda)
· Earle of Oxford’s Marche – (W. Byrd / Arr.: Empire Brass)
· Sonata from Die Bänkelsängerlieder – (Anonymous – Edição Robert King)
· Canzona per Sonare No 4 – (G. Gabrieli / Arr.: Graeme Page)
· O Trenzinho Caipira – (Villa Lobos / Arr.: Marcos Pacheco)
· Classical Medley – (Arr.: Jeon Hun) , Piano Concerto No 1 – B Flat Minor (Tchaikovsky), William Tell Overture (Rossini), 1812 (Tchaikovsky), Can Can (Jacques Offenbach)
· Beale Street Blues – (W. C. Handy / Arr.: Luther Henderson)
· Na Glória – (Raul de Barros / Arr.: G. Gagliardi)
· Carinhoso – (Pixinguinha / Arr.: Duda)
· That’s A Plenty – (Bert Williams / Arr.: Luther Henderson)
· Só Tim Maia – (Tim Maia / Arr.: Marcos Pacheco)
The show Quitute Brasileiro will arrive on the digital platforms of the BrassUka quintet in August 2021 and will present to the public songs by Afro-Brazilian composers and performers who have had great prominence in the Brazilian and international music scene. Follow the group’s website for more details about the release.
“Quitute”, an Afro-Brazilian word meaning “fine food” or “delicate delicacy”, brings to the concert a fine mix of musical flavors with the aim of exalting the importance of the great black artists who contributed to Brazilian culture through modern reinterpretations and arrangements. Check out excerpts from the project:
De Volta Pro Meu Aconchego –(Dominguinhos / Arr.: Agnaldo Gonçalves)
Disparada – (Geraldo Vandré / Arr.: Leandro Conte)
Maria, Maria – (Milton Nascimento / Arr.: Jeremias Oliveira Rufino)
· Homenageado: Jair Rodrigues – Música – Disparada – (Geraldo Vandré / Arr.: Leandro Conte)
· Homenageado: Alcione – Música – Não Deixe o Samba Morrer – (Edson Conceição e Aloísio Silva / Arr.: Marcos Pacheco)
· Homenageado: Pixinguinha – Música – Carinhoso – (Pixinguinha / Arr.: Maestro Duda)
· Homenageado: Dominguinhos – Música – De Volta Pro Meu Aconchego –(Dominguinhos / Arr.: Agnaldo Gonçalves)
· Homenageado: Milton Nascimento – Música – Maria, Maria – (Milton Nascimento / Arr.: Jeremias Oliveira Rufino)
· Homenageado: Luiz Gonzaga – Música – Bailão do Gonzaga – (Luiz Gonzaga / Arr.: Agnaldo Gonçalves)
· Homenageado: Jorge Bem Jor – Música – Conexão Jorge Bem Jor – (Jorge Bem Jor / Arr.: Agnaldo Gonçalves)
· Homenageado: Tim Maia – Música – Só Tim – (Tim Maia / Arr.: Marcos Pacheco)
BrassUka at the Campos do Jordão Winter Festival (2021)
Founded in the city of São Paulo in April 2011, the brass quintet seeks musical quality and sound impact with a lot of irreverence and fun, taking chamber music to different audiences and proving that this instrumental union, previously rated as “aggressive to the ears ”, can be executed with quality and subtlety.
Since its formation, BrassUka has performed over 300 concerts – having also been on the stage of the Museu da Casa Brasileira – and released three digitally available albums, including: Mundo Metal (2017), Sons de Natal (2018) and Dream – Closer to You (2019).
Follow the group’s social networks:
The Museu da Casa Brasileira, an institution of the Secretariat of Culture and Creative Economy of the State of São Paulo, has been dedicated, for 51 years, to the preservation and dissemination of the material culture of the Brazilian house, being the only museum in the country specialized in architecture and design . The MCB’s program includes temporary and long-term exhibitions, with an agenda that also includes educational service activities, debates, lectures and publications contextualizing the museum’s vocation for the formation of critical thinking on themes such as architecture, urbanism, housing, economy creative, urban mobility and sustainability. Among its numerous initiatives, the MCB Design Award, the main award in the segment in the country, held since 1986, stand out; and the Casas do Brasil project, to rescue and preserve the memory of the rich diversity of living in the country.
Follow the Museu da Casa Brasileira through social networks as well.
Tue. to sun. from 10am to 6pm